Olive Oil Hot Cross Buns
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups warm milk
- 1 ¼ cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ cup raisins
- 1 zested orange
- 5 tablespoons Arbequina Olive Oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread flour
- 5 tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon Apricot Balsamic
- 2 teaspoons water
- Combine yeast, sugar, and warm milk in a medium bowl, set aside to allow the yeast to bloom, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, raisins, and orange zest. Gently stir with the dough hook to incorporate. With the mixer set on low, add the Hojiblanca olive oil and egg. Once those ingredients have been combined, slowly pour in the milk mixture.
- Once all the milk has been incorporated into the dough, increase the mixer speed to medium-low, working the mixture into a slightly sticky dough.If the dough does not pull away from the sides of the bowl add a tablespoon of flour, at a time, until the consistency is reached.
- Transfer the dough to another bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm spot to rise for about 1 hour.Once risen, remove the dough to another bowl, and onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead for 1-2 minutes and then evenly cut the dough into 12 equal portius, roll into balls.
- Line a 13x9 inch baking pan or casserole dish with parchment paper and lightly spritz with nonstick spray and cover with plastic wrap. Return the pan to that warm place and let rise for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour and water, creating a thick paste. Place this paste in a piping bag and set aside. Once the rolls have risen slightly, remove plastic wrap and pipe an ‘X’ on each roll using the four paste. Place the buns in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place apricot jam, Apricot balsamic, and water in a small bowl, microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until runny. Brush the glaze over the buns and serve warm.
Winter Citrus Salad